Sexual Assault Affects Everyone
Q. How many adults are impacted by sexual assault?
- 1 out of 3 women can expect to be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.
- Male sexual assault by another man is occurring more frequently.
- 52% of college women surveyed reported sexual assault by a date.
- Sexual assault is an act of violence and power. NOT the aggressive expression of passion.
Q. Is child abuse a big problem?
- Child abuse is the number one killer of children under five in the United States.
- Child victims may suffer from long term psychological disorders, pregnancy, venereal disease or other physical problems.
- The majority of child victims are abused by someone they know and trust; a family member, relative, babysitter or neighbor.
- Children are 1,500 times more likely to be abused in homes where partner abuse occurs.
Q. How does abuse affect everyone?
- 78% of those who commit sexual assault as adults were victimized as children
- Children who grow up in abusive homes are more likely to become abusive partners as adults.
- 85% of men in Texas prisons today grew up in violent homes.
- Family violence causes an estimated loss of 3-5 BILLION dollars annually in abuse-related absenteeism.
- Family violence causes an estimated loss of 100 MILLION dollars annually in abuse-related medical bills.
24-hour Crisis Hotline: 1-800-451-9235
3010 6th Street P.O. Box 1820 Bay City, TX 77414
Local Crisis Line: 979-245-9299
116 E. Burleson Street, Wharton, TX 77488
Local Crisis Line: 979-531-1300